Boy, 14, faces charge in Montrose school slashing
MONTROSE — After a two-month wait, prosecutors Wednesday charged a Montrose boy as a juvenile for the part they allege he played in a throat-slashing incident at Montrose High School.
The 14-year-old boy, who had been housed at Grand Mesa Youth Detention Center, appeared out of custody on a $5,000 bond in Montrose County District Court. He was charged with criminal attempt to commit attempted murder, a class five felony.
The Daily Sentinel is not naming the boy because he is not being charged as an adult.
Police allege the boy conspired with another 14-year-old boy, Michael Yates, to slash the throat of 17-year-old Mallory Haulman on the morning of Nov. 11 as she walked into the school.
Yates, who police said used the knife to attack Haulman, is charged as an adult with attempted first-degree murder and two counts of conspiracy.
Haulman suffered a deep wound, but she returned to school after having surgery. She said she did not know either boy.
The boy’s attorney, Bill Richardson, told District Judge Jeff Herron he had not received key evidence in the case from prosecutors. Herron ordered prosecutors to deliver the evidence to Richardson before the boy’s next hearing, Feb. 4.