Briefs: Health Sept. 08, 2009
• Heart health seminar to be Wednesday
Dr. Scott Rollins will present a seminar titled “Heart Health: Better Screening, Better Treatment” at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Integrative Medicine Center of Western Colorado, 240 F Road, Suite 8.
• Foot, ankle specialist joins practice
Dr. Waqqar Khan-Farooqi has joined Rocky Mountain Orthopaedic Associates, 627 25 1/2 Road.
Khan-Farooqi, an orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle ailments, graduated from Stanford University School of Medicine, spent his residency at the University of Washington and Affiliated Hospitals in Seattle and completed a foot and ankle fellowship at OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, N.C. He had a private practice for three years in Seattle before moving to Grand Junction.
For more information, call 242-3535 or visit http://www.rmodocs.com.
• Health, wellness opens on N. Ninth St.
A health and wellness center, Returning Balance Therapies, LLC, has opened at 1000 North Ninth St., Suite 42 in Grand Junction. The business offers colon hydrotherapy, detoxification programs and other options.
The business can be reached at 250-2708 or online at http://www.ReturningBalance.com.
MDA, Wallgreens partner on flu shots
• The Muscular Dystrophy Association is teaming up with Walgreens to offer seasonal influenza shots at 7,000 locations across the country.
Getting the flu can be hazardous to people with muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular dystrophy and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The MDA will also be offering the H1N1 swine flu vaccination when it becomes available.
Influenza shots are offered anytime between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on a walk-in basis.
For more information, visit Walgreens.com/flu or call 1-800-WALGREENS. For information about obtaining a flu shot for someone with a disease covered by MDA or to secure a flu shot voucher, call the local MDA office or visit http://www.mds.org.
Service League’s annual walk Oct. 3
• The Junior Service League of Grand Junction is hosting it’s 12th annual Walk 4 Life on Oct. 3. Registration for the event begins at 8:30 and the walk begins at 9 a.m. at the Western Colorado Botanical Gardens, 655 Struthers Ave. Walk 4 Life promotes breast cancer awareness, education, detection and support.
For more information, visit http://www.jslgj.com.