Briefs: Local News December 09, 2008
Powderhorn postpones opening date
• Unseasonable temperatures and a lack of snow have forced officials at Powderhorn Ski Resort to postpone the start of the resort’s 42nd year of operation.
Initially scheduled to open Thursday, a Powderhorn spokesman said Monday that any decision on opening will be “day-to-day” depending on snow conditions.
Updates and opening information are available on the Powderhorn Web site and blog at http://www.Powderhorn.com.
Parade of Lights winners are named
The Parade of Lights dazzled hundreds downtown last weekend. Here are the parade winners by category:
• Business — MJM institute of Cosmetology, first place; Varaison Vineyard and Winery, second place; and Visual Eyes Eye Care, third place.
• Organization — Special Olympics, first place; Western Slope ATV Association and Appleton Christian Church, second place; Western Slope Animal Services Networking Group, third place.
• Youth — Cub Scout Pack No. 342, first place; Cub Scout Pack No. 353, second place; Regulators 4-H Club, third place.
• Band — Palisade High School, first place; Grand Mesa Middle School, second place; Grand Junction High School, third place.
• Media — Cumulus Broadcasting, first place; Snow Princess, MBC Grand Broadcasting, second place; and KKCO TV, third place.
• Performance — Absolute Dance, first place; Burning Desert Fire Collective, second place; and Dos Rios Elementary, third place.
Ice Rink on Main Street opens Thursday
• The Ice Rink on Main Street will be open Thursday through Saturday. Normal skates will work on the synthetic ice, and skate rentals are available for $5 at Brown Cycles.
Hours are from 5 to 10 p.m. Thursday; 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday; and from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday. The 25-feet by 40-feet rink will be open regardless of temperature or weather.
For information, call 245-7939.