Briefs: Local News October 15, 2008
Child abuse workshop slated
• A free workshop about reporting child abuse and neglect will take place from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday in the Mesa County Courthouse multipurpose room, 544 Rood Ave. Reservations are required by calling 244-1885.
Napolitano campaigns here for Obama
• Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano will be in Grand Junction Thursday to discuss Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama’s economic plan. The Obama campaign said Napolitano will stop at the Redlands Community Center, 2463 Broadway Ave., at 12:15 p.m.
The event is free and open to the public.
KAFM series hosts author
• Rebecca Davis Winters will speak at 7 p.m. Oct. 29 as part of KAFM’s Lifelong Learning Series. Winters is a local author. The event is free but reservations and donations are requested. For information, call 241-8801, ext. 3 or visit http://www.kafmradio.org.
Work affects First, Patterson
• First Street southbound at Patterson Road will be closed from 6 to 9 this evening and tomorrow for the construction of a double turn lane. Northbound traffic will not be affected. Alternative routes are 25 1/2 Road or Seventh Street.
Buescher-Bradford debate set
• The Central High School speech and debate team will host state Rep. Bernie Buescher, D-Grand Junction, and Republican challenger Laura Bradford for a debate at 7 p.m. Thursday in the school auditorium. The debate is scheduled to last roughly 80 minutes.