Briefs: Local News September 10, 2008
Group to distribute food to seniors
• Food will be distributed to needy senior citizens this week and next at 486 Morning Glory Lane.
The Commodity Supplemental Food distribution will be from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. today through Friday.
The program has limited space. To determine eligibility call 241-0388. The program offers free food packages and nutritional education to qualifying people ages 60 and older.
Rock the Vote at Hot Tomato
• The Hot Tomato Cafe, 201 E. Aspen Ave. in Fruita, will have a Rock the Vote event from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 17. For information, call 858-1117.
Latimer House plans fundraiser lunches
• Hilltop’s Latimer House Counseling and Advocacy Center will have a fundraising lunch from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 19 and 20 at Wal-Mart, 2881 North Ave. All proceeds will benefit the victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in Mesa County. For information, call 242-4400.
Spehar to speak at museum Sept. 18
• The Museum of Western Colorado and the Mesa County Historical Society will host guest speaker Jim Spehar at noon Sept. 18 at the Whitman Educational Center, 248 S. Fourth St. Spehar will discuss notable radio talents throughout Grand Junction’s history. Take a sack lunch. The presentation is free. For information, call 242-0971, ext. 209.
Couple to host fundraiser for Robinson
• Bryan and Cindy Sims are hosting a pig roast and fundraiser for Mesa County Commission candidate Dan Robinson from 2-7 p.m. Sept. 21 at their home, 160 Dee Vee Drive. Tickets cost $30 and RSVP is required by Sept. 19. For information, call 208-5968.
Skate park grand opening Sept. 20
• Mesa County will celebrate the grand opening of its new skate park at 10 a.m. Sept. 20 at the Long Family Memorial Park, 3118 E 1/2 Road. Traz Snow and Skate will sponsor a skateboard contest with prizes including boards, bicycles and electronics. For information, call 986-0215.
Gun owners’ candidate forum Saturday
• An informed gun owners conference and candidate forum will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday at City Hall Auditorium, 250 N. Fifth St. Participating candidates include Wayne Wolf, Bernie Buescher, Laura Bradford, Dan Robinson, Dickie Lewis and Janet Rowland. For information, call 241-8068.