City to address troubles with troubled addresses

Hundreds of residents will be affected as Grand Junction works to clean up a number of faulty addresses scattered across the city.

City councilors during a meeting Monday were apprised of the issue that threatens emergency response times and can be a hassle for residents to receive mail deliveries. Work to correct addresses will be conducted after a series of public meetings. After councilors pass a resolution to change the addresses, people assigned new addresses have a year to formally change their paperwork and still receive mail via the U.S. Postal Service.

A number of addressing problems abound throughout the city. For example, in the 400 block of West Ute Avenue, addresses on one side of the street are listed in ascending order, but addresses on the other side of the street range in descending order.

Or, take for instance a swath of side-by-side businesses and properties on the Interstate 70 Business Loop roughly between 27 Road and 29 Road. In that stretch, properties are listed as being on U.S. Highway 6&24, East Main Street or on the business loop.

In another example, homes on opposite sides of the street on 27 1/2 Road between Patterson Road and Horizon Drive are listed under Mesa County’s numbering system and the city’s numbering system.

So, one side of the road has properties listed in the 600 block, while properties across the roadway range from the 2800 block to the 4300 block.

Fractioned addresses and roads that end in fractions, while not a problem for the local emergency response teams, can be frustrating for residents to receive deliveries.

“We understand that changing your address is a really big deal,” city Planning Manager Lisa Cox said.

Cox said during past efforts to readdress some areas, residents who were tired of having faulty addresses came to the city and wanted to have their addresses changed.

Two years ago, city leaders changed the name of F Road to Patterson Road and corrected a number of addresses along eight miles of the nine-mile route. Also, addresses along Riverside Parkway were converted when the beltway was created.

Grand Junction is working with Mesa County to create smoother addressing systems, and the city is participating in a statewide initiative to help emergency dispatchers sort out the inconsistencies.

For more information about changing your Grand Junction address, call Grand Junction’s planning department at 244-1430.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy