Club 20: Udal and Schaffer have varying issue thoughts
• Udall: “We need to provide a way to bring all these people out of the shadows and document them.”
• Schaffer: “The costs and risk associated with breaking the law ought to be greater than the costs and risks of complying with it.”
War in Iraq
• Schaffer: “I’ve never been for an open-ended commitment in Iraq. I’ve always been for achieving victory and coming home as a function of winning.”
• Udall: “We need to end the war in Iraq responsibly and honorably” so troops can be sent to Afghanistan and Pakistan because “that’s where bin Laden is.”
The federal-state split of federal mineral royalties
• Schaffer: “I would try to reverse the votes that Markl Udall and (Sen.) Ken Salazar cast last year, on Dec, 19, 2007, that betrayed the West Slope of Colorado. It was a $7 million error in the split” that gave the federal government 51 percent and the state 49 percent.
• Udall: “The Bush administration was responsible for that” by inserting the formula change into pending legislation.
The earmark for a “bridge to nowhere” for elk to cross Interstate 70, supported by Udall
• Udall: “It isn’t about the elk. It’s about the people in the car” who might collide with elk crossing the freeway.
• Schaffer: “The bridge to nowhere works fine if all the elk know where the crossing is.”