Conspiracy charges may be dismissed against Montrose teen
A Montrose boy who was 14 last year when he was charged with conspiracy in slashing a girl’s throat may have his charges dismissed.
District Attorney Myrl Serra of the 7th Judicial District filed a motion Thursday to dismiss charges against Andrew Brown.
Brown was accused of conspiracy when Michael Yates, then 14, slashed the throat of then-17-year-old Mallory Haulman as she walked into Montrose High School on Nov. 11.
Yates has pleaded guilty in the case to attempted murder and is serving a seven-year sentence in the Colorado Department of Corrections Youth Offender Services.
Serra said Thursday that witness statements contrasted with the physical evidence found at the scene. An eyewitness recanted her statements that the two boys did meet before the incident.
Yates initially told investigators that voices in his head caused him to slash the girl’s throat, but Yates changed that story.
After the boy’s first court appearance, Brown’s parents told The Daily Sentinel their son met up with Yates after the slashing but did not know about the attack.