Cops: No suspicion in death of infant
The death of a 7-month-old Clifton boy Saturday was not considered suspicious despite the arrest of the boy’s father on methamphetamine-related charges that same day at St. Mary’s Hospital, the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department said Monday.
The boy was rushed by ambulance to the hospital, where he later died, after emergency responders were called around 4:20 p.m. on a report of an infant unconscious and not breathing at a home in the 3200 block of Lombardy Lane.
Police radio traffic indicated deputies were told the boy was put down for a nap, but didn’t wake up.
William Poe, 39, the boy’s father, was arrested at St. Mary’s Hospital on suspicion of drug-related charges after he accidentally shattered a suspected glass meth pipe while in the presence of a deputy, according to an arrest affidavit.
Poe and the boy’s mother, “inconsolable” for their son, were given a ride to St. Mary’s by a sheriff’s deputy. The affidavit said a deputy observed Poe, as he walked to the main emergency room entrance, pull a glass pipe out of his pocket and drop it on the ground, where it shattered. Poe picked up part of it and continued walking inside, the affidavit said.
“William, if you throw that tweak pipe in the trash you are going to jail,” a deputy yelled, according to the affidavit.
Poe was arrested at the hospital’s family waiting room.
The deputy observed Poe was allegedly “sweating profusely,” consistent with recent meth use, the affidavit said. Several shards of suspected meth, weighing less than 2 grams, were seized where Poe had earlier dropped it, the affidavit said.
Poe was booked at the Mesa County Jail on suspicion of tampering with evidence, possession of meth, obstructing a peace officer and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was released after posting bond.
An unattended death investigation concerning Poe’s son is still active, pending reports from the Mesa County Coroner’s Office, Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Heather Benjamin said.
“It is not a suspicious death investigation nor do we have any information at this time to indicate the infant’s death was drug related,” she said.