Deputy shoots Whitewater woman

Kristine Biggs

A Whitewater woman who punched a police officer during a drunken-driving arrest last year in Mesa County was in critical condition Monday in Utah, the day after she was shot in the face by a Utah sheriff’s deputy during a high-speed pursuit.

Kristine Nicole Biggs, 41, started a 30-mile chase Sunday night after speeding away from police who tried to pull her over on Interstate 84 for driving with a broken headlight, according to an Associated Press account. After driving over spike strips, she turned around and rammed two patrol vehicles. Biggs allegedly ignored commands to get out, leading a Morgan County Sheriff’s Department deputy to fire once at her windshield. No officers were injured.

Biggs was in stable condition Monday afternoon and was expected to survive.

Fox 13 in Salt Lake City reported authorities believe Biggs may have been in the process of moving to a new home.

A warrant for Biggs’ arrest in Mesa County was issued Nov. 7 after probation authorities alleged she violated terms of a deferred judgment relating to her arrest on July 29, 2011, when she punched a Colorado State Parks officer.

The officer contacted Biggs for driving into James M. Robb State Park without buying a parks pass, an arrest affidavit said. Biggs told the officer she didn’t need a pass because she just wanted to let her dogs cool off in the water.

When told she was under arrest on suspicion of DUI, Biggs and the officer struggled and the officer reached inside Biggs’ Dodge pickup truck to try and turn off the ignition. The officer was struck in the nose, the affidavit said.

“Every time I attempted to remove Biggs from the vehicle she would put the vehicle in gear, trying to leave,” the affidavit said. “I was able to block Biggs’ attempt to strike me again.”

Two officers were needed to place her into handcuffs, the affidavit said.

Biggs in November 2011 pleaded guilty to menacing, resisting arrest and DUI, while a plea agreement with the Mesa County District Attorney’s Office included a three-year deferred judgment. Biggs had the chance to erase her convictions if she stayed out of trouble three years.

“I am sorry years of good behavior can be destroyed in one night,” Biggs said in a handwritten apology, which was filed with a Mesa County judge on Dec. 7, 2011. “Please allow me to prove to you all the person I truly am.”

Probation officials earlier this month alleged Biggs failed to show for meetings with her caseworker, and hadn’t paid $2,202 in court costs and fines, or served her court-ordered 100 hours of community service. Biggs couldn’t be reached by phone or mail despite repeated attempts at contact since mid-October, authorities wrote in a request for an arrest warrant.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy