Dog dies after couple gets lost on Utah hike
A couple from Canada were rescued Tuesday after they got lost and ran out of water while hiking west of Moab, Utah, authorities said.
Grant McMillan, 63, and his 61-year-old wife, Barbara, of British Columbia, called 911 around 1:10 p.m. Tuesday to report they and their dog had gotten lost while hiking on the Poison Spider Trail and that they were low on water, according to the Grand County Sheriff’s Department.
Deputies tried to direct the couple out of the area, but Grant McMillan called back about 30 minutes later to say they were still lost and out of water. He also said their dog had collapsed, and his wife could go no further, the Sheriff’s Department said.
A St. Mary’s Hospital CareFlight helicopter flew from Grand Junction and located the McMillans around 2:45 p.m. The helicopter picked up the couple and their dog, which had died, and took them to Allen Memorial Hospital in Moab, deputies said.
At the hospital, McMillan told deputies he and his wife started their hike at 8 a.m. with six liters of water and planned on hiking about three miles. But they became confused by the trail signs and got lost, according to the Sheriff’s Department.
McMillan told deputies the couple had been in the area for six days and had finished their previous hikes with leftover water. He also said they have come to Moab every year for several years, deputies said.
Deputies helped the couple rehydrate and returned them to their vehicle. The dog’s body was turned over to an animal control officer for disposal.