Families burned out

A firefighter works on the roof of building H at Racquet Club Apartments, 2915 Orchard Avenue, where at least 12 units were temporarily uninhabitable after a fire Monday afternoon. No one was injured.



112310 1A Apartment fire
Purchase reprints

A firefighter works on the roof of building H at Racquet Club Apartments, 2915 Orchard Avenue, where at least 12 units were temporarily uninhabitable after a fire Monday afternoon. No one was injured.

Authorities were scrambling late Monday to find shelter for the occupants of at least 12 units at a Fruitvale apartment complex damaged by fire.

The third floor of building H at Racquet Club Apartments, 2915 Orchard Ave., was expected to remain uninhabitable at least through this morning because of heavy smoke damage from the fire, first reported around 3:30 p.m., said Grand Junction Fire Department Battalion Chief John Williams.

Volunteers with Western Colorado Red Cross responded to the area within roughly an hour, but it wasn’t immediately clear how many people would need overnight shelter arrangements.

The fire was believed to have started in Unit 33, where the most the serious damage occurred, Williams said. Firefighters working on the roof of building H cut holes into the ceiling of Unit 33 in an effort to ventilate the blaze, he said. The unit’s windows facing Orchard Avenue were shattered.

No injuries were reported.

Residents living on the first two floors of Building H were allowed back inside at approximately 4:30 p.m., although natural gas service had yet to be restored, Williams said.

A cause wasn’t immediately known.



COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.




Search More Jobs






THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Sign in to your account
Information

© 2014 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy