Fire at hotel building site out quickly
A discarded cigarette started a fire that caused about $20,000 in damage at a hotel construction site downtown, the Grand Junction Fire Department said.
Firefighters were called just before 7 a.m. and found trash burning in a narrow alleyway between the east side of Consign Design, 234 Main St., and the Marriott hotel being built at 236 Main St.
Fire Capt. Eric Cox said various items of wood and insulation associated with the building project were burned and that the exterior of the hotel was damaged.
The Fire Department sent seven units to the scene and said the fire was under control within 15 minutes.