For stimulus, try this, Rowland tells Udall
Economic policy for Sen. Mark Udall
As suggested by Mesa County Commissioner Janet Rowland
• Oppose carbon cap and trade. Its implementation would add $3,100 onto every U.S. household’s energy bill, Rowland said.
• Implement the fair tax, or a federal sales tax, which would eliminate “the entire office of the Internal Revenue Service” and ensure everyone, including illegal immigrants and tax-avoiding criminals, pays their fair share of tax, she said.
• Stop the ban on research and development activities on oil shale deposits in Colorado. Oil shale in the region may hold three times the amount of oil buried in the sands of the Middle East, Rowland said.
• Amend the Clean Water Act, specifically storm-water compliance. The legislation forces local residents to expend millions of dollars to purify water to a level greater than found in nature, she said.
• Support natural gas exploration and production activity on the Naval Oil Shale Reserve (the Roan Plateau): “If you really want to help the economy of northwest Colorado, please use your position as a Colorado Senator and support natural gas production on the Naval Oil Shale Reserve.”
— To see a full copy of Rowland’s letter, visit GJSentinel.com.