Large shed in city destroyed after controlled burn spreads

A Grand Junction Firefighter muscles a hose into the yard where a large garage burned at 522 28 1/4 Road Friday morning. Bill Jones, the renter on the property said he was burning elm seeds when he saw fire in the barn.  He thought the fire started maybe from a “spark into oily rags.” No one was hurt, but the barn sustained major damage.



Resident Bill Jones collected up his dog Quincy after the barn behind his rental home at 522 28 1/4 Road burned Friday.



A man who lives near a large shed that burned Friday morning in the 500 block of 28 1/4 Road near Elm Avenue was not injured after reporting the flames to emergency dispatchers.

Bill Jones and his dachshund, Quincy, escaped safely after the large shed behind his home, at 522 28 1/4 Road, burned. Jones told authorities he had been burning elm seeds when the fire spread.

Jones’ rental home, like other homes in tight-knit area, were threatened by the flames, but none caught fire.

No one was injured, according to Duncan Brown, battalion chief with the Grand Junction Fire Department.

“I just feel bad about the loss. The bottom line is nobody was hurt,” Jones said. “A spark must have hit some oily rags or something.”

Jones said some of his belongings were damaged in the fire, but he is glad to have renter’s insurance.

He said the shed, which was used as storage space by his landlord, contained appliances and some chemicals.

Brown said neighbors heard several explosions in the shed as it caught fire and the blaze in the building emitted black smoke. He said the cause of the fire wasn’t immediately known.


COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.


TOP JOBS
Search More Jobs





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Advertiser Tearsheet
Information

© 2015 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy