Loma home destroyed in fire

Neighbor helps 2 dogs, 2 cats escape unhurt

Firefighters from Lower Valley Fire Protection District and the Grand Junction Fire Department battle a blaze that gutted a home at 1318 Garfield St. in Loma on Friday.

Thanks to speedy help by a neighbor, a woman’s two dogs and two cats were not injured when a fire broke out in her Loma home on Friday.

The woman who lived in the home at 1318 Garfield St., two homes north of the Loma Community Church, was not at home when the blaze started, her neighbor said.

“I saw smoke coming past a window in my house,” said a neighbor, who didn’t want to be identified. “I made sure the dogs made it out of the house. There was so much smoke coming out of the window, I couldn’t get in to see what the problem was.”

The home’s resident, who watched as her home burned, said she had been living there for 17 years. Neighbors identified her as Stacy.

The woman said she also just bought 10 baby chickens and she kept honey bees.

“They just came out two days ago,” the woman said of her bees. “I don’t know what I’m going to do with them.”

The home, built in 1909, is a total loss, according to the Lower Valley Fire Protection District. Firefighters from Fruita and the Grand Junction Fire Department worked to contain the fire.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy