LS: Holidays should also be healthy
Tips for a healthy holiday
This isn’t diet advice. It’s healthy living advice with some refreshing tips to help you keep off extra weight over the holidays.
1. Drink a full glass of water this morning. It will boost your metabolism. (Runner’s World) magazine, Dec. 2008)
2. Walk and window shop on Main Street, at the mall or at an area shopping center.
3. Allow yourself one glass of alcohol, then stop. Alcohol may increase your appetite, according to the American Dietetic Association.
4. Watch a comedy movie tonight. Laughing for 10 to 15 minutes burns 40 calories. (Self magazine, Oct. 2008)
5. Sign up for the 2009 LiveWell Challenge at http://www.livewell.org. This site also has plenty of healthy living tips. The challenge starts Jan. 1.
6. Walk Wednesday: Walk three times around the block at home or at work.
7. Snack on a handful of almonds instead of sweets. Eating almonds can calm your nerves and reduce stress-related eating binges.
(Women’s Health magazine, Dec. 2008)
8. Do 10–20 standing squats before showering today.
9. Choose gelato over ice cream. Gelato has about 70–110 calories in a 3.5–ounce serving. That is 2/3 to 3/4 less butter fat than ice cream, according to the owners of Gelato Junction and Dessert on Main Street.
10. The Denver Broncos play the Kansas City Chiefs today. Do a pushup for every point the Broncos score.
12. Cut the fat. Substitute ground turkey for ground beef in a meal tonight.
13. Walk Wednesday: Walk an extra 15 minutes today.
14. Skip takeout. Plan and cook a healthy meal for dinner.
15. Eat a small snack, such as a banana or apple, before going to a holiday party. Never go to a party hungry; it’s a recipe for overeating, according to the Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute. (myclevelandclinic.org)
16. Get ready for holiday guests by cleaning the baseboards (you’ve got to clean them sometime; it might as well be now). Suck in your abs while you’re at it.
17. Do 5–10 jumping jacks for every Christmas present you wrap.
18. Start the work week right with breakfast this morning. It’s good for your metabolism.
19. Eat a cup of yogurt. A University of Tennessee study found that men who ate three servings of yogurt a day to diet lost 61 percent more body fat. (Men’s Health magazine’s Abs Guide 2008)
20. Walk Wednesday: Take a walk during your lunch break.
21. Do crunches or another abdominal exercise during the commercial breaks of your favorite show. Don’t forget to stretch both your abs and your back afterwar
22. Limit your dessert portion to the size of your fist. (Runner’s World magazine, Dec. 2008)
23. Sleep at least 7–8 hours tonight. Getting those hours of sleep can keep your body from storing fat. (Self magazine, Oct. 2008)
24. Snack on low-fat popcorn.
25. Jump rope. It’s some serious cardio. (Men’s Fitness magazine, Sept. 2008)
26. Eat dinner on a smaller plate. Wait at least five minutes before going back for seconds. You might be more full than you first realized.
27. Walk Wednesday: Go caroling around your neighborhood for Christmas Eve.
28. Merry Christmas! Enjoy the holiday.