Man, 67, dies in fire at Grand Junction nursing home
A small fire in a room at a Grand Junction nursing home early Wednesday likely led to the death of a 67-year-old resident, authorities said.
Emergency personnel were notified of a fire alarm at about 12:30 a.m. from the Eagle Ridge at Grand Valley, 2425 Teller Ave. By the time firefighters arrived, staff had put out the small fire with an extinguisher, according to Grand Junction Fire Department spokesman Mike Page.
A man was discovered to have been burned and was declared dead at the scene.
Page said the fire occurred on the bed, but it was not hot enough to set off the sprinkler system in the room.
“Everything operated and functioned just as it should have,” Page said.
Eagle Ridge counts 62 residents, according to a manager there, but no evacuation was needed as the fire was contained to the man’s room.
Eagle Ridge is a privately-owned assisted living facility and is managed by a Lakewood-based company.
In a statement, Vivage said the man who died was admitted to Eagle Ridge on Sept. 21, transferring from another local nursing facility. The company said it’s cooperating with the ongoing investigation and is completing its own internal probe.
When asked whether the man was smoking in bed, which is not allowed at Eagle Ridge, Page said investigators have not confirmed that detail.
“Certainly that is one of the things that we are looking at, but we haven’t eliminated other possible causes either,” Page said. “Officially, the fire is under investigation.”
The Mesa County Coroner’s Office is expected to release the cause and manner of death, as well as the man’s identity, sometime soon.