Man pulled from destructive fire at house

Photo by Gretel Daugherty—Grand Junction firefighters gather outside of a house at 435 N. 26th Street after extinguishing a blaze at the home around 9:30 p.m. Saturday. One man was taken to the hospital after being pulled from the burning house by Grand Junction Police Officer Ginny Chase and neighbor David Jones, according to Jones.

A neighbor and a Grand Junction police officer rescued a man from a major fire late Saturday.

The fire at 435 N. 26th St. caused serious damage to the home, Grand Junction Fire Department spokesman Mike Page said.

The man, whose identity was not released, was taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, Page said.

The neighbor and Grand Junction Police Department officer Ginny Chase helped get the man out of the home before fire trucks arrived.

That neighbor, freelance photographer and videographer David Jones, said he was at home about five or six houses away when he heard a small pop and two loud explosions.

“I heard a call on the (police) scanner that there were shots fired,” he said. “I got into my car and heard on the scanner that the fire was about five houses down from me.”

He arrived about the same time that Chase did, and he started to record video of the fire when she exited the home, saying the man wouldn’t let go of the chair he was sitting in. That’s when Jones abandoned his journalistic duties and went into the home with Chase.

“She was yelling at him to let go, let go,” Jones said. “He wasn’t doing that. I reach in there, and between the both of us we yanked and tugged, and I think I tore his clothes half off him. He was holding on to some type of a chair.”

Jones said they were able to break his grip of the chair and get him out the front door.

Jones said the fire seemed to be concentrated in a rear bedroom, and there was heavy smoke in the front room where he and the police officer were trying to rescue the man.

But why the man didn’t want to leave the home, Jones couldn’t say.

“You get enough smoke, you don’t know what’s going on,” he said. “The smoke was coming up the hallway and out the front door where we were at. All I know is he was heavy.”

Seven firefighter units and 29 personnel responded to the blaze, Page said, adding the cause of the blaze is under investigation.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy