Men help rescue woman who didn’t know house was on fire
Mark Prettyman believes people are put in positions in life to help others.
His chance came at about 10 a.m. Tuesday. And he and co-worker Greg Wentzel may have saved someone’s life in the process.
The two men were out on their normal sales calls for their jobs with local country music station The Moose 100.7-FM when they drove by a house at 548 31 Road.
Prettyman said he noticed smoke drifting out of the home’s swamp cooler. Wentzel dialed 911 on his cell phone.
The two men rushed to the front door and pounded on it after the doorbell failed to rouse anyone. Eventually, a woman wrapped in a towel answered. A second-story window shattered when she opened the door.
“She had no idea the house was on fire,” Prettyman said. He said the woman later indicated she had been in a tanning bed in the garage when the fire broke out at the opposite end of the home.
Prettyman and Wentzel directed the woman, who wasn’t identified, to their truck to give her some shelter. Mesa County Sheriff’s Department deputies helped her retrieve a jacket and some clothes.
Greg Martin, assistant fire chief for the Clifton Fire Protection District, said the first firefighters on scene found flames coming out of an upstairs bedroom. Grand Junction firefighters who were called out cut a hole in the roof to help provide ventilation.
Martin said the fire was contained to the bedroom, but the home sustained $40,000 to $50,000 in damage and wasn’t inhabitable.
He said the owner of the home, the woman’s boyfriend, told him he had been having problems with some electrical outlets and ground fault indicators. Martin stressed, though, that he didn’t know whether that was the cause of the fire.
The woman wasn’t injured.
“We’re just glad she’s all right,” Prettyman said.