Montrose DA waits to file charges
Authorities in Montrose are keeping details about a boy accused of attacking a Montrose High School student from the public more than 48 hours after his arrest.
The 14-year-old boy, suspected of slashing the throat of 17-year-old Mallory Haulman Tuesday morning in the school’s crowded hallway, did not appear before a judge Thursday, two days after his arrest.
As of late Thursday, no appearance in Montrose County District Court had been scheduled for the boy, said Clerk of Court Jodi Hanson.
Authorities must offer defendants a detention hearing within 48 hours of an arrest, unless extraordinary circumstances are present, Montrose County District Attorney Myrl Serra said Wednesday.
Montrose Police Chief Tom Chinn said he spent much of Thursday in meetings with Serra, who requested more information about the attack on Haulman, whose throat was slit as she walked into school for the day.
Haulman’s assailant fled and was taken into custody minutes later by police just a few blocks from the school. Haulman was released from Montrose Memorial Hospital on Wednesday and is now recovering at her home.
Chinn has recommended charges of attempted murder for the boy, but the district attorney makes final charging decisions.
The boy’s name has not been released.
Prosecutors can charge the youth as an adult if he is charged with attempted murder.