Music Scene: Flutist Tony Babbitt
A personal journey of mythology and music will be presented by Native American-style flutist Tony Babbitt at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 20, in the Radio Room at KAFM Community Radio, 1310 Ute Ave.
At qwflutes.com, Babbitt shares that an event early in his life lead to a respect for Native American culture and led to his discovery of the Native American flute.
Babbitt, already a woodworker, then delved into the process of creating his own flutes. That process took him on a journey that actually changed his attitude toward daily life, Babbitt says on the site.
Each of his flutes is “the result of a journey in craftsmanship, patience and respect,” Babbitt says on the site.
Babbitt handcrafts a variety of flutes he uses for performing.
He also markets the instruments through his business, Quahada Winds.
Tickets to Babbitt’s concert are $10 and can be purchased at the KAFM offices or at kafmradio.org. Space is limited.
Call 241-8801 for information.
Other music events in the area:
• The Tonettes at Downtown Christmas tree lighting, Fourth and Main streets, Friday, Nov. 19, 5 p.m., 245-9697, http://www.downtowngj.org.
• Stray Grass, Cobble Creek Club House, 699 Cobble Drive, Montrose, Friday, Nov. 19, 7:30 p.m., $15 adults, $10 Cobble Creek members, reservations 208-2456, http://www.skylarkconcerts03.eventbrite.com.
• Rusty George Band, Turn of the Century Saloon, 117 N. Fourth St., Montrose, Friday, Nov. 19, 8 p.m., $15 for barbecue and band, $10 band, benefits Montrose High School Outdoor Club, 240-1590.
• Bad Karma Kings with Tin Horn Prayer and Lizzie Huffmen, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., Saturday, Nov. 20, 9 p.m., $5, all ages, 241-1717.
• Around the World at the Speed of Sound, Grand Junction Symphony Children’s Concert, with The Grand Valley Children’s Choir and Talking Rhythms, Grand Junction High School auditorium, 1400 N. Fifth St., Saturday, Nov. 20, 11 a.m., adults $15, ages 12 and younger $5, 243-6787, http://www.gjsymphony.org.
• Community Evening Dance with music by Ula Vaun, Bill Heddles Recreation Center in Delta, Saturday, Nov. 20, 7–10 p.m., $4 at the door, coffee and lemonade provided, 874-0923.
• Debris, Stage 12, G.J. Scores, 2445 F 3/8 Road, Saturday, Nov. 20, 9 p.m. to midnight, $5, 245-1115, http://www.grand junctionscores.com.
• Vintage Voltage, ‘60s-‘80s rock and blues Palisade Livery Saloon, 215 Main St., Saturday, Nov. 20, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., vintagevoltageband.com, 464-5449.
• Rock Showcase, Mesa Theater and Club, 538 Main St., 9 p.m., all ages, Monday, Nov. 22, $10 or $5 ages 21 plus, 241-1717.
• Colorado Choral Director’s Select Choir with Mesa State Chamber Choir and Grand Valley Children’s Choir, Grand Junction High School auditorium, 1400 N. Fifth St., Monday, Nov. 22, 7 p.m., $4 adults, $2 students and children, 241-5522.
• Javier De Los Santos, classical guitar, and Allison Connally, soprano, with the St. Joseph People of God Choir, St. Joseph Church, 330 White Ave., Monday, Nov. 22, 7 p.m., $5 suggested donation per person.