Music scene: Three pianists
Three pianists will tickle, stroke and pound the ivories on Sunday, March 13, for the opportunity to play a concert with the Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra during its 2011–12 season.
The 18th annual Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra Young Artist Competition concert will be at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Moss Performing Arts Center’s Recital Hall at Mesa State College, 1231 N. 12th St.
The competitors are Fan-Ya Lin, from Taipei and studying at Weber State University in Utah; Isabella Campos, from Brazil and studying at University of Utah; and Chenggang Wang, from Xinjiang, China, and studying at Utah State University.
Short biographies, photos and performance accolades can be found at http://www.gjsymphony.org.
“The Grand Junction Symphony Young Artist Competition Finals is an important program for the Grand Junction Symphony and Symphony Guild,” Michael Schwerin, the symphony’s executive director, said in a news release. “The program recognizes accomplished young musicians and give the winner the wonderful opportunity to perform with the GJSO as well as receive encouragement as they begin their professional music career.”
The competition winner and runner-up will receive cash prizes.
Tickets are $5, and the public is invited to attend.
Call 243-6787 or go to http://www.gjsymphony.org for information.
Other music events in the area:
• James Williams of the Williams Brothers Band, rock, 7 p.m. Friday, March 11, DoubleTree Hotel patio, 743 Horizon Drive, ages 21 plus, 241-8888.
• Lobo and Sheryl Loggins, 8:30 p.m. Friday, March 11, Red Barn, 1413 E. Main St., Montrose, 249-9202.
• Vintage Voltage, classic ‘60s–‘80s rock ‘n’ blues, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday, March 12, Palisade Livery, 215 S. Main St., Palisade, 464-5449, vintagevoltageband.com.
• Valley Youth Orchestra annual dinner concert and silent auction, doors open and silent auction begins 4:30 p.m., dinner 5:30 p.m., concert 7 p.m. Saturday, March 12, Delta High School, 1400 Pioneer Road, Delta, $15, $8 for ages younger than 12, $40 immediate families, 252-0552, http://www.valleysymphony.net/vyo
• Cyrus James, 7 p.m. Saturday, March 12, Horsefly Brew Co., 2320 E. Main St., 249-6889.
• Tony Rosario, 9 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Saturday, March 12, Stage 12, G.J. Scores, 2445 F 3/8 Road, 245-1115.
• Frontside Five, Pitch Invasion and Tard, 10 p.m. Saturday, March 12, Rocky Mountain Pub, 539 Colorado Ave., ages 21 and older, 245-8995.
• JUCO World Series National Anthem singer auditions, 7 p.m. Monday, March 14, Canyon View Vineyard Church Chapel, 736 24 1/2 Road, all ages, male, female, children and groups welcome, 260-1110, 242-1383, 243-0456.
• Howard Berkman, 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 16, Camp Robber, 1515 Ogden Road, Montrose, 240-1590.
• Ilya Yakushev, Russian pianist, Delta-Montrose Community Concert Association, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 17, Delta Performing Arts Center, 822 Grand Ave., Delta, single ticket admission at the door $20 adults, $5 students, 835-4480, 921-4142, 249-9154, deltamontrosecommunityconcerts.com.
• King featuring Project Groove and Miss Emily, 10 p.m. Thursday, March 17, Tenacious Brothers Pub, 118 S. Seventh St., 424-5354.
• St. Patrick’s Day Shenanigans with Voodoo Swing, Potato Pirates, The Smokestack and Foothill Fury, 8 p.m. Thursday, March 17, Rocky Mountain Pub, 539 Colorado Ave., ages 21 and older, 245-8995.