No injuries in home explosion after propane ignites Jacuzzi

A propane leak and faulty equipment were blamed after a Jacuzzi exploded inside a Montrose home as a boy was trying to bathe, according to the Montrose Fire Department. Nobody was injured in the blast.

Firefighters were called around 5:30 p.m. Thursday to a report of an explosion in the bathroom of a home at 59671 W. Miami Road.

They arrived to find homeowner Melvin Brasier and his three children standing in the front yard, according to an incident report from the Montrose Fire Department.

The explosion leveled a wall separating the bathroom from a bedroom. Debris was scattered inside the home, and windows in two rooms were blown out, according to the report.

Investigators determined the explosion happened underneath a Jacuzzi.

Brasier’s son, Bret, who had been trying to bathe, told investigators he pushed a button to turn on a pump to the Jacuzzi four times.

Each time it ran for a period and stopped. On the fifth time he pushed the pump button, the Jacuzzi exploded.

Investigators said they believe propane from a leaky tank found its way into a drain pit underneath the Jacuzzi and was ignited by a spark from the pump.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy