No one hurt in Palisade blaze
Ammunition and fireworks inside a Palisade home that burned Friday night sent explosions ripping through a historic, typically peaceful, neighborhood.
The owner of the turn-of-the-century house, 28-year-old James Funk, said he had about 75 guns in the two-story home that caught fire about 6 p.m. Friday.
Funk was able to get his son and three dogs out of the home at 303 W. First St. before the fire, which started in his son’s room, ravaged the house.
“All I need is a hot dog and a beer, and it will be a good night,” he said, trying to make light of the situation as Palisade firefighters blasted water at the stubborn blaze.
A pillar of smoke visible from Clifton could be seen for hours.
Funk bought the home from his grandmother in 2002, and he had been in the process of refinishing the floors. He said he thinks an electrical short was responsible for starting the fire, but he couldn’t be certain.
He and his wife and children will be taken in by family and friends, he said.
Funk said he used a personal fire extinguisher on the fire to no avail. A friend at the scene said he, too, used an extinguisher on a couch that went up in flames.