One boy dies, one sickened by poison gas
Cedaredge teens apparently victims of carbon monoxide
One Cedaredge High School student is dead and one remains in critical condition after three students there were flown to a Denver hospital Sunday after an apparent exposure to carbon monoxide.
Angie Anania, spokeswoman for Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center and Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, where the three students were taken, said Reid Gates died as a result of that exposure.
Another student, Aaron Henrie, remained in critical condition late Monday, while the third student, Tyler Cooper, was listed in good condition.
All three are players for the Cedaredge High School football team. Earlier this year, Gates won a state track championship in the 2A high jump.
The boys were flown to a Denver hospital late Sunday as a result of their exposure to the poisonous gas in a camper trailer they were sleeping in, according to the boys’ families.
Gates, a senior, was the football team’s star running back.
Henrie and Cooper are undergoing treatment in the hospital’s hyperbaric oxygen chamber, according to the families of the three boys.
“This tragic accident has left everyone devastated and all of the families are asking for their privacy,” the families said in a joint statement.
Kurt Clay, assistant superintendent for the Delta County School District 50J, said the three were sleeping in the camper when something caused them to be exposed to carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas that can cause brain damage or death when inhaled in sufficient quantities.
Clay said the boys were first taken to Delta County Memorial Hospital, then later flown by AirLife to the Denver hospital.