Police: Officers who killed man cleared for duty
Two Grand Junction police officers who shot and killed a Grand Junction man last week have been approved to return to duty after an internal affairs investigation concluded the officers’ use of force was consistent with departmental policy, police said Thursday.
Police Chief John Camper said in a statement that Cpl. Clint Newtown and officer Patrick Bridge “are commended for their professional handling of this incident” and that they can return to duty “when they are ready and able to do so.”
Police still have not specified what led Newton and Bridge to shoot 29-year-old Joshua Crawford outside a home at 1720 Grand Ave. on Aug. 25. The most specific information released by police thus far came from a one-sentence synopsis of a police report that indicated Crawford “threatened officers with a handgun.” Police spokeswoman Kate Porras declined to elaborate on exactly what that meant.
Police have said they were called to the Grand Avenue address to remove a person outside of the property. Officers fired shots when they contacted Crawford inside a vehicle in front of the property. Police have said a gun was found inside the vehicle.
In his statement, Camper noted that the Police Department internal affairs investigation’s findings are separate from the analysis Mesa County District Attorney Pete Hautzinger will conduct once he receives the results of the 21st Judicial District Critical Incident Response Team’s investigation. Hautzinger will determine whether the shooting was justified and lawful under state law.