Police use
 of force 
highest in 
five years


Officer-reported use of force by Grand Junction police hit a five-year high in 2013, which also saw more officer injuries and Taser deployments, according to a department report.

The Grand Junction Police Department’s annual use of force summary says there were 63 reported incidents of police use of force in 2013, the most since at least 2009.

That compares to 40 cases in 2011.

There were also 22 cases of reported use of Tasers by officers, up from 14 in 2012 and a five-year high for the department as well.

Six suspects reported injuries from Tasers, not counting medical calls to remove Taser probes that lodged into suspects. Those injuries were characterized in the report as “minor” after falling to the ground, including one person who complained about a possible dislocated shoulder.

Cases of “hands on” interaction, or taking a suspect to the ground, totaled 37.

The report also notes nine officer injuries in 2013, while just two were reported five years ago. The injuries were characterized as anything from bruises and scrapes, to a knee injury, sprained thumb and a black eye.

A vast majority of the reported force, 45 of the 63 reported cases, happened between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Increases cited in the report came during a year in which 63,609 911 calls for service were recorded in Grand Junction, a year-to-year increase of just more than 5 percent.


COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.
Page 1 of 1


Not Freida Cook - Am a relative (Ltpar) - Unfortunately, in Police work it isn’t always cookies and milk and violence comes with the territory.  These statistics logicaly conclude that as the population grows, so does the propensity for violence on the part of some. Thanks to the men and women of law enforcement for protecting the community.  Semper Fidelis.

@ Not Freida—why don’t you buy your own subscription?

RE: Police violence, what do you expect?  We buy them their own armored personnel carriers and other paramilitary gear; do you really expect that this gear won’t be used?

Not Freida Cook - Am a relative (Ltpar) - Paul, because I live in California, I use my mother-in-law’s subscription.  I own investment property in Grand Junction and read the online Sentinal every day to keep track of what is happening. 

The equipment of law enforcement are tools in the tool box and nothing more.  When a tool is needed, it is removed from the box and put into play.  In case you haven’t noticed, Police Officers must be prepared to respond to and resolve a wide range of problems.  These problems vary ranging injured animals to domestic violence disputes to homeless citizen issues to active shootings.  By the nature of the job in Public Safety, law enforcement is a combination of civilian and paramilitary organization,  depending on the response.  In most jurisdictions, the paramilitary efforts(enforcement) is 20% or less.  Community Policing and problem solving takes up the other 80%.  Grand Junction is fortunate in still being a relatively small community without a lot of violent crime.  The Grand Junction Police Department does a very professional job, although as with all places there are a few detractors. The question is, are you a supporter or a detractor?

Page 1 of 1




TOP JOBS
Search More Jobs





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Advertiser Tearsheet
Information

© 2015 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy