Rifle firefighters keep condominium blaze from spreading within complex
A fire at a Rifle condominium complex Thursday night caused $50,000 to $60,000 damage at one residence, but firefighters prevented its spread to adjoining units.
The fire was caused by cooking food that was unintentionally left unattended on a kitchen stove, the Rifle Fire Protection District said in a news release.
The district was contacted about a fire at 216 S. 9th St. around 7:25 p.m. Thursday. The first crews to arrive reported a fire burning fiercely in one two-story unit and evacuated adjoining units.
Members of a Rifle engine company that responded within five minutes of the call quickly entered the unit, but the fire already had spread to the second floor and attic space. Battalion chief Kevin Alvey said crews knew the aggressive interior attack was needed to save adjoining condo units.
The resident of the burned unit and those of two adjoining condos were displaced for the night and were provided shelter with the help of the Red Cross. All other residents of the condo complex were allowed to reoccupy their units.