Sheriff: Cedaredge boys in carbon monoxide poisoning incident were in enclosed garage

Three Cedaredge High School students who were accidentally poisoned by carbon monoxide had been watching movies aided by an on-board generator inside a fifth-wheeler trailer located in an enclosed garage, according to the Delta County Sheriff’s Department.
Reid Gates died of exposure from the incident Sunday, while student Aaron Henrie is still in critical condition and student Tyler Cooper is still listed in good condition, Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee said.

The boys were flown to Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center and Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children after first being taken to Delta County Memorial Hospital.

All three students played football for the Cedaredge High School football team and Gates won a state track championship in the 2A high jump earlier this year.

McKee said the incident appears to be an accident and no charges will be filed.

He lamented that the accident could have happened to children anywhere because plenty of children use trailers parked at parents’ homes and in driveways to sleep in.

“It happens every weekend all across this country,” McKee said.

McKee said the Cedaredge community and the school district is coming together in support of the family.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy