Shooting details hazy; 2 victims still in hospital
Two of the five men who were shot early Sunday at a Fruitvale home were listed in fair condition Tuesday, according to a St. Mary’s Hospital spokeswoman.
The five, who range in age from 16 to 22, were wounded around 2:15 a.m. at a party at 2984 Krista St. The accused shooter is 20-year-old Joshua Gregory Anton.
Anton’s father, Mark, spoke Tuesday about what he knows of the incident, although that information had been relayed from others who were at the home early Sunday, he said. Anton said he hasn’t spoken to his son since the incident.
The arrest affidavit for his son remains sealed.
Anton, 51, said his son had been involved in a confrontation earlier at the home with some of the same people who were later wounded.
Joshua Anton originally went there for a “few beers,” celebrating the fact he recently obtained a telemarketing job, according to Mark Anton.
He said his son was involved in a fight with at least five people. The five left but returned to the home with up to 17 people who, according to Mark Anton, tried to break down the front door.
Anton said he was told that several people in the group have gang affiliations and that his son acted in self-defense when they tried to break down the home’s door.
Joshua Anton lives next door to the home where the shooting happened, and he didn’t know the people who were shot prior to Sunday, Mark Anton said.
District Attorney Pete Hautzinger declined comment on the claims, pointing to Joshua Anton’s sealed arrest affidavit and an ongoing investigation. Hautzinger then added, “I’ve not seen anything suggesting a compelling self-defense case.”
Joshua Anton is being held at the Mesa County Jail on $500,000 bond on suspicion of two counts of first-degree assault with a deadly weapon and three counts of second-degree assault with intent.
During bond arguments Monday, Hautzinger told a judge he’s considering filing five counts of attempted murder.