Suspect in fatal Montrose stabbing released; no charges

A 17-year-old Montrose boy, jailed for more than a month in the fatal stabbing of another teenager, was released from juvenile detention Tuesday after prosecutors said they weren’t prepared to file charges.

Isaac Garcia was released from Grand Mesa Youth Detention Center at the request of the prosecution, according to First Assistant Attorney General Jean Woodford.

“We were handed this case late last week and didn’t feel we were ready to make a charging decision,” Woodford said Wednesday. “There’s an ongoing investigation and I’ll leave it at that.”

Woodford was appointed Sept. 30 to lead the Seventh Judicial District Attorney’s Office following the arrest of District Attorney Myrl Serra on sex allegations.

Garcia had been in custody since Sept. 5 and held without bond for suspicion of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of 19-year-old Zachary Culmer.

Read the full story in Thursday’s Daily Sentinel.



COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.




Search More Jobs






THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Sign in to your account
Information

© 2014 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy