Tiger soccer team snowed out

The Grand Junction High School soccer team didn’t spend Wednesday afternoon on the soccer field as planned.

Instead of fighting for their season against Cherry Creek in the first round of the Class 5A soccer playoffs, the Tigers were fighting a snow-packing storm in Denver.

Wednesday, the Colorado High School Activities Association postponed all the Class 5A and 3A playoff soccer games because of the inclement weather across the state. The games are expected to be made up by Saturday, and the second round has been moved to Nov. 3. Today’s Class 4A second-round games have been postponed, also to be completed by Saturday.

“It sounds like with the weather all over the state it was not going to be safe to travel,” Grand Junction Athletic Director Greg King said. “Plus they weren’t going to be able to get the fields ready in time.”

Rather then playing a soccer game, the Tigers are now playing the waiting game.

Grand Junction coach Stephen Latta is stranded with the team in Denver attempting to return to Grand Junction.

“The storm is so big that we might not be able to get out until late (Thursday),” Latta said.

The Tigers will remain in Denver until they are given the go-ahead by District 51 to return home, whenever that is.

“Safety comes first with the kids,”  District 51 Athletic Director Paul Cain said. “We can adjust budgets to keep them over there, but the priority is safety.”

Because of District 51 travel rules, the team isn’t allowed to get onto the road until the chain restrictions are taken off the passes.

“District guidelines say that if chain laws are in effect you don’t travel with students,” Cain said. “They don’t come back until the chain restrictions are lifted.”

Once the Tigers return, it becomes a matter of when they can make it back to Denver to play the first-round game against Cherry Creek. King said he has been discussing rescheduling the game with Cherry Creek Athletic Director Randy McCall.

“It looks like the game will be played Saturday,” King said. “We would have liked to play Friday but all of their fields are full with football.”

King said he plans to have a time and date locked in by this morning.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy