Way Back When, Jan. 27, 2014
This photo from 1947 is bound to bring back some good memories. It shows the original Gavin Drugs at 721 North 12th St., across from Lincoln Park.
George Gavin was the pharmacist, and when the Gavins took over the store from Mr. Potter, George and his wife, Bonnie, lived north of the store on 12th Street in the then quite elegant DeMerschman Gardens.
On the south end of this building was Rettig’s Lincoln Park Food Mart, owned and operated by Adolph and Gladys Rettig. At one time, they sold pastries from Vick’s (Victor Colony) Pastries. An addition, made of bricks, manufactured by the Grand Junction Brick Co. on North 17th Street, was added to the building.
Across the alley stood The Snack Bar, a popular hangout for the Grand Junction High School crowd. Further south was Velma Shephardson’s Lincoln Park Beauty Shop. It was in a very small building and was originally a root beer stand run by a man named Downing.
On the corner of 12th and Gunnison was the Lincoln Park Texaco Service Station, once owned by the Onan family and named The Claremont. At the time this photo was taken, Don Warner was the proprietor of the gas station.
Gavin Drugs moved to a new location on the corner of 12th and Hill, next to the Goofy Gal Drive-In, sometime in the 1950s. Hobby Hut is there now.