Women accused of assault in 2 cases

Destini Fay

Breawna Wilkins

A 44-year-old Grand Junction woman accused of knocking an older woman unconscious and repeatedly punching a man in the face during an argument faces a possible felony second-degree assault charge.

Destini Ann Fay was arrested early Saturday morning after Mesa County Sheriff’s deputies spoke with the hospitalized 67-year-old female victim, who claimed Fay shoved her down onto the sidewalk late Friday evening in the 500 block of Delicious Drive, according to an arrest affidavit.

Doctors at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center told deputies that the victim suffered traumatic internal head trauma when her head hit the sidewalk and she was knocked unconscious, the report said. The older woman said she was intervening in a fight between her 44-year-old son and Fay.

The son told deputies that Fay had punched him in the face three times before his mother arrived.

Mesa County Sheriff’s Deputy Darin Huisjen wrote in the affidavit that he overheard a phone conversation between Fay and the man while he waited for his mother at the hospital.

“Destini continually asked why his family would call the cops and not handle family problems ‘like normal people,’” Huisjen wrote.

When confronted by deputies later, Fay said she has post-traumatic stress disorder and the older woman invaded her “personal space,” which is why she shoved her, the affidavit said.

County Judge Gretchen Larson on Tuesday issued Fay a personal-recognizance bond. She is set to appear in court again Oct. 19.

In a separate case, 28-year-old Breawna Marie Wilkins of Clifton also faces a felony second-degree assault charge after being accused of throwing a butcher knife at a 29-year-old man early Saturday morning.

Wilkins, who also faces a protection order violation count and a sentence-enhancing domestic violence count, was arrested after the man told police that the knife, which she threw from about 10 feet away, struck his left lower leg, according to an arrest affidavit.

The man appeared in court Tuesday and told Larson that Wilkins has had a hard time adjusting to medication.

“This is not the person that she is,” the man said. “She needs help, not punishment.”

Larson ordered that Wilkins be released on a personal-recognizance bond but ordered her to stay away from the victim in the case. Wilkins is due back in court Oct. 18.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy