Best Blogs: Haute Mamas December 09, 2008

Posted by Richie Ann Ashcraft on Dec. 4 at 1:29 p.m.

Before I had kids I swore there were certain rules that families should follow and I would never ever be one of those mothers who let those rules slide. You know, rules like always eating family dinner together, always making the bed, that kind of thing.

Well, that lasted for a while around my house, but lately I’ve been bending the rules a lot.

The 6 o’clock hour is fondly known as “witching hour” at my house as both kids will be at my feet hollering or crying or repeating the word “eat eat” over and over again. It’s a racket I just can’t handle lately. Since my hubby isn’t home until a little later more often than not, I go ahead and feed myself and the kids. With the Simpsons on. Horror!

Sometimes I sit on the couch, too. And, I let them have juice with their dinner. I still try to add a vegetable, but I couldn’t find one the other night so I just skipped it.

I let them skip their bath from time to time. And, I’ve let them wrestle with their dad or watch TV instead of reading before bed. The other day I let them eat French toast in my bed.

I’ve even used the television as a nanny — which I swore right here on May 15, 2006, that I would never ever do. What an idiot I was.

I’m supposing all this lax is the beginning of the making of a bad momma, but the reality is I can’t keep things so rigid all of the time.

Go ahead, admit to me the thing you let your kids do things that you never thought you would. It will make me feel better.

Comments

By Laurena on Dec. 4 at 3:58 p.m.

Where to begin the confession … Breakfast. I cooked breakfast every morning until my kids were in first or second grade and expressed a preference for cold cereal. They fend for themselves in the morning now, and breakfast can include cold pizza or leftover pie. I figure a glass of milk with anything makes it nutritious enough during busy mornings.

By Lynn on Dec. 4 at 4:06 p.m.

Eat McDonald’s. Ha! Now Alex eats there every day at lunch. Just yesterday he was extolling the virtues of a Big Mac. And there’s the never will: have a cell phone, Internet, text messaging, girls over, TV in his room, a car, talk back, skip homework … yeah. Get your hands off my “bad mother” trophy! I’m not ready to give it up yet.

By Robin on Dec. 5 at 8:25 a.m.

Dudes, my kid swears … and we let her because it’s funny. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. My name is Robin and I’m bad mom.

By Katherine on Dec. 5 at 8:28 a.m.

I let my 7-year-old have coffee. And I’ve been letting him have Starbucks for two years, and not hot chocolate, coffee, tea, whatever. He will probably be a Starbucks addict. Although I’ve tried to start just drinking coffee stuff at home. It’s expensive otherwise.

By Kathy on Dec. 5 at 8:59 a.m.

This post makes me feel better! BK (before kids) I swore there will be no computer or TV in my kids room. Well … guess what … one kid has a computer and TV in his room and the other has a TV.

By Diane on Dec. 5 at 9:26 a.m.

“They won’t have cell phones,” “OK, but they won’t have text messaging,” “OK, but they will just have a basic phone,” “OK, but they won’t talk back,” “OK, but they will keep their rooms clean,” “OK, but they will have only A’s and B’s or it all goes away” “OK ...”

COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

TOP JOBS
Search More Jobs

THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050
Editions
E-edition
Advertisers
Information

© 2015 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy