Briefs: Local News October 07, 2008
Law/legislation luncheon Friday
• The Western Colorado National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors will host a law and legislation luncheon that will take place at 11:30 a.m. Friday at Two Rivers Convention Center. Guests include Josh Penry, Bernie Buescher, Steve King, Laura Bradford, Steve Erkenbrack and Dr. Michael Pramenko. Cost is $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. For information, call 263-9000.
Project collecting coats for needy
• The Coats for the Community clothing project will collect winter clothing through Dec. 31 at Knode and Associates, 311 W. Third St. in Palisade. Donated coats, hats, gloves, sweaters, scarves and insulated pants will be distributed to Catholic Outreach, Homeward Bound, Child and Migrant Services and the Rescue Mission. For information, call 464-5661.
Rifle range to be closed Oct. 14-16
• The Bureau of Land Management Rifle Range will be closed to the public Oct. 14-16. It will be used by the Colorado State Patrol for training purposes. For information, call 858-2250.
Delta pool to be closed Nov. 3-9
• DELTA — The Bill Heddles Recreation Center Aquatic Center will be closed for annual maintenance Nov. 3-9. It will reopen on Nov. 10. The rest of the recreation center will be open. For information, call 874-0923.
Special-needs resource fair Oct. 27
• Mesa Developmental Services Family Council will host a free resource fair for parents of children with special needs at 7 p.m. Oct. 27 at 950 Grand Ave. There will be more than 20 agencies represented with staff available to answer questions. For information, call 256-8639.
Target donates $5,000 to Head Start
• Target gave $5,000 to the Rocky Mountain SER Western Slope Head Start Program. The money will be used to fund the early literacy Treasure Chest Program, which helps children with language delays.
Parade of Lights accepting entries
• The annual Parade of Lights is accepting requests for entries. This year’s theme is “Home for the Holidays.” The parade will take place at 5 p.m. Dec. 6. Cash prizes are given to the top three entries in each category. Cost to register through Nov. 16 is $20. Applications are available at downtowngj.org or by calling 245-9697.
Republican women luncheon Oct. 13
• The Mesa County Republican Women will have their monthly luncheon at noon on Oct. 13 at the Masonic Center, 2400 Consistory Court. The guest speaker will be Kathy Hall, executive director of the Western Slope Colorado Oil and Gas Association and a former Mesa County commissioner. Cost is $10. Reservations are required by calling 248-0815.