Daughter found prenuptial agreement in Helmick home

Weeks after Miriam Helmick abandoned her home in Whitewater in July 2008 and left for Florida, her slain husband’s daughter found a folded-up prenuptial agreement tucked away in a desk at the home.

Portia Vigil, a Delta resident and Alan Helmick’s eldest daughter, read in court Friday sections of the document, including a section addressing what should happen to property acquired after Alan and Miriam Helmick had married.

“You agree it does not ever say what should happen to things?” asked Assistant District Attorney Rich Tuttle.

“Yes,” Vigil replied.

Vigil testified Friday that Miriam Helmick told her in May 2008 that the couple’s prenuptial agreement allowed for her to take all property that was acquired by the couple after their marriage in June 2006.

The document appeared handwritten by her father, Vigil said. Prosecutors have questioned whether it was legally binding and intend to call witnesses next week to testify about the document and the status of Alan Helmick’s estate in June 2008.

Alan Helmick, 64, was shot in the back of the head at his home on June 10, 2008. Miriam Helmick, 52, stands accused of his murder.

Raised in Delta, Vigil purchased one of her father’s businesses, Helmick Mortgage Co., which she sold five months after his death.

Vigil testified the December 2003 death of her mother, Alan Helmick’s first wife, Sharon, was sudden, unexpected and sent her father into a depression that lasted well over a year.

Vigil said she never developed a close relationship with her stepmother.

“Was it hard to accept Miriam Helmick in your dad’s life?” Tuttle asked.

“It would have been hard to accept anybody,” she said.

“Do you believe you treated Miriam Helmick badly?” Tuttle continued.

“No,” she replied.

“Did your sisters?” Tuttle asked.

“Not that I’m aware of.”

After her father remarried, Vigil testified they saw him less and rarely without Miriam Helmick.

Vigil said she repeatedly called her father’s cell phone, but most of the calls went straight into Alan Helmick’s voice mail.

She regularly had to call Miriam Helmick to get messages to her father in the months leading up to his murder.

On June 10, Vigil said she called Miriam Helmick at 9:28 a.m., asking to speak to her father.

Vigil testified Miriam Helmick said she was running errands at a local Wal-Mart Supercenter, and her father went to pick up a family vehicle that had been serviced.

Miriam Helmick told others she left her home around 8:15 a.m. as her husband was showering, but mentioned nothing about her husband having to pick up a car that morning, according to testimony.

Vigil will be cross-examined by Helmick’s defense on Monday.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy