E-mail letters, April 9, 2010
Almost half the population
are not paying taxes
I read the recent front-page article by the Associated Press and was shocked to learn that 47 percent of the U.S. population pays no income tax whatsoever, due to receiving tax credits and deductions.
This apparently has been going on since 2007, so we can’t blame Obama.
What are we teaching the younger generation when their responsibility to assist in the operation of this country is forgiven? Worse, some people actually receive additional money over and above what was withheld. Apparently, when welfare reforms were instituted in the 1990s, the government found other ways to give out free money to people.
When I was a young person starting out, I paid the regular rate of income tax, less my exemption and the standard deduction. I paid taxes on my income the entire 37 years I worked full-time and continue to pay income taxes in retirement.
What are we teaching the younger generation by not allowing them to participate in the operation of our government?
I understand from the article that the remaining 53 percent of the population is paying for these tax credits, national defense and entitlement programs so that the other 47 percent pay nothing each year in income tax. Just because some people have children or are single parents does not mean they should not participate in funding our country. Granted, the amount should be less, but not zero.
I had no idea the system was this bad. I am hoping that the article was simply misleading, and some facts were left out. If it proves to be correct in what was stated, I think we need to ask our legislators to develop some new laws quickly to avoid the bankruptcy of our nation.
Where’s the outrage
I am thankful there are people in America and apparently thousands around the world who have found concern in their hearts for one of God’s four-legged creatures that went by the name of Buddy. My heart was encouraged to know there are even some generous business owners who would donate a memorial stone to help us remember this tragic event.
I find this entire saga to be an outrageous showing of inhumane disregard for any living create. What a terrifying and lonely way to go. To be drug to your death truly would be a frightening experience for any living being. I cannot fathom what Buddy must have been feeling in those final moments of his life.
What I do ponder is the lack of concern Americans have when it comes to the life of a human being. What if Mr. Romero had opted to take scissors to the back of Buddy’s skull, proceeding to use a vacuum to suck his brains out while he cried and squirmed in pain? Shouldn’t this barbaric procedure that has been used on millions of tiny humans have at least the same, if not greater, outrage as dragging a dog to his death?
We have yet to hear a great wave of voices shouting out support towards the protection of those who cannot speak for themselves. Why haven’t we set up millions upon millions of little memorials from coast to coast to help us remember our lost generations? Generations of babies that would have been doctors, lawyers, teachers and ever-day people that could’ve raised their voices in against the Steven Romero’s that are out there determined to run their selfish wicked course on an innocent victim. A four-legged, helpless victim named Buddy and all the other victims who have no one to weep for them.
Commissioners should be held
to TABOR on ‘lease-leaseback’ proposition
I would like to thank Denny Herzog for his timely column explaining the process by which The Daily Sentinel edits its news stories. Now I understand how the story, “County to spend $17 million on capital projects” was transformed into a Pollyannish puff piece about how an undefined “lease-leaseback” financing is going to provide Mesa County with $18.5 to $19 million in cash for much needed capital projects.
Unfortunately, two significant newsworthy items were edited out of the story.
First, Mesa County no longer owns the Justice Center. The commissioners will buy back the Justice Center by making payments over the next 21 years. A previous board of commissioners built the Justice Center in 1998-1999 and paid for it entirely in cash.
Second, this transaction represents the first long-term debt entered into by a Mesa County Board since the implementation of the TABOR Amendment in 1993 (the 1995, 1998 and 2004 refinancing of existing debt were
allowable under TABOR). TABOR, in very clear language, required voter approval in advance for any multiyear fiscal obligation. This financing will proceed without voter approval. When the commissioners, in the recent public hearing, asked Dee Weiser (bond counsel out of Denver) for his legal opinion, his response was, “Everybody else is doing it.”