Explosion survivor improving, family says
Lewie Willson, who was injured when his rental home west of Montrose was leveled by a propane explosion Tuesday, is doing better, his daughter-in-law said Thursday.
Marta Willson, who is married to Lewie Willson’s son, Clay Willson, said her husband and his brother, Calvin Willson, are at their father’s bedside around the clock at North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley.
“He’s still in the burn unit, and he’s progressing nicely,” she said. “The man’s made of kryptonite.”
Dead skin is being removed from Lewie Willson’s badly burned hands, but he’s taking medication to help with the pain, Marta Willson said.
She talks with her husband several times a day to check on her father-in-law’s progress. Lewie Willson is eating and talking and knows everyone who comes to see him, she said.
“He has a large family that cares very much for him,” she said. “Everyone is streaming in, and we think he’s doing better.”
Lewie Willson turned 76 Thursday, she said.
North Colorado Medical Center spokeswoman Sandy Carter said Willson remains in critical condition.
Marta Willson has high hopes he will make a full recovery.
“The outlook is bright, and with time and medical care and some rehab he should be fine,” she said.