Montrose man, 86, dies from burns in house fire

An elderly Montrose man who was severely burned in a fire at his home Sunday died early Monday morning, authorities said.

Montrose County Coroner Thomas Canfield said 86-year-old Richard Swyhart died in a burn unit at the University of Colorado Hospital in Denver.

Coroner’s officials confirmed Swyhart died of burns he suffered in the fire and ruled his death an accident.

Montrose Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Mike Schell said Swyhart sustained burns over 30 percent to 40 percent of his body in the fire, which broke out Sunday afternoon at 807 S. 11th St. while Swyhart was smoking and using oxygen at the same time.

His younger brother told firefighters he had left the house to get something to eat, found smoke when he returned and attempted to save his brother by pulling him out of the house. The house was destroyed.


COMMENTS

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.


TOP JOBS
  • Rns, Cnas

    RNsColorado Canyons Hospital and Medical Center is looking to fill se...

  • Delivery Route

    BUSINESS OPPORTUNITYWould you like to deliver newspapersa...

  • Operations Manager

    Moody Insurance is a full-service insurance agency with locations in Denver, Gra...

  • Financial Projects - Senior Accountant

    Provide financial, economic, accounting and analytical services...

  • Body Tech

    FT, experience required.Must pass drug andbackground check. Alla...

  • Rn/unit Manager

    Must be able to coordinate and manage nursing care to residents, prov...

Search More Jobs





THE DAILY SENTINEL
734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Editions
Subscribe to print edition
E-edition
Advertisers
Advertiser Tearsheet
Information

© 2016 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy