No bond for teen in Montrose attack
MONTROSE — More than a week after a student’s throat was slashed at Montrose High School, the 14-year-old boy suspected of the act made his first court appearance, via speakerphone, Wednesday and was ordered by a judge to remain in a youth detention facility without bond.
“I totally understand it,” the boy told Montrose District Court Judge Jeff Herron when asked whether he knew why he was being detained.
Prosecutors have until Monday to file formal charges against the boy. He could be charged as an adult.
He is being held on the suspicion that he approached 17-year-old Mallory Haulman from behind and cut her throat as she walked into a crowded school hallway the morning of Nov. 11.
During the hearing, Deputy District Attorney Lou Mehlig requested the boy’s records “from Pueblo” but didn’t specify what those records were.
The boy’s grandparents appeared in court but declined to speak during the brief hearing. A Mesa
County caseworker and a guardian told the judge the grandparents were in the process of getting custody of the boy when he was arrested in the stabbing. The caseworker and guardian asked Herron that they be allowed to continue working with the boy.
The boy had been housed at Grand Mesa Youth Services, a juvenile-detention center in Grand Junction.
Plans had been made for him to attend an alternative school within the Montrose School District.
The boy and another 14-year-old suspected of conspiracy in the attack are being housed separately at Grand Mesa Youth Services. The boy was ordered not to have contact with his co-defendant or the victim, and he is banned from the Montrose High School campus.
Prosecutors have until Friday to file formal charges against the second boy.
Haulman is back in classes at the school, recovering from surgery to the deep cut to her neck. Her family has told media she did not know her assailant.