Printed Letters: March 21, 2017

Chazen is the most accomplished candidate
You chose Mr. Wortmann over Mr. Chazen for City Council in District D. Yet, in your March 13 comparison of Mr. Chazen and Mr. Wortmann for City Council, Mr. Wortmann listed no accomplishments other than living here for 40 years. No academics, no jobs, no boards, nothing except a nice smile.

Versus Mr. Chazen, whose academic, corporate and public service careers are full of accomplishments and recognition. Mayor pro-tem, board chairman of Associated Governments of Northwest Colorado, etc. Are you afraid of tough questions? Or do you not want someone who is concerned about how public money is spent? Come on, guys. Get real!

Grand Junction

Advocating for ban of Nordic Council is ridiculous
To the unnamed contributor to “You Said It” on Sunday who advocated for the ban of the Nordic Council on the Grand Mesa, I can appreciate wanting to remain anonymous as the idea is ridiculous!

Without the council’s monetary outlay and labor just how would you suggest that the trail system, which you apparently use, be groomed and maintained for the hundreds who use it also? If you’d prefer to have it not groomed and prefer to ski backcountry with your dog, why not access the miles and miles of area available on the Grand Mesa? For many of us who prefer the track skiing, we can not understand why having two of the three ski areas be dog friendly is not enough; surely a compromise is doable.

In regards as to how to handle wildlife is encountered, I would suggest that there is a big difference between a wild animal trying to avoid all human contact and a big, “friendly” dog seemingly wanting some personal contact as perhaps it has no idea as to where his owner has gotten to!

Grand Junction

Vote yes on projects that could really help our community
Tommy Lasorda, the legendary baseball manager once said, “I found it’s not good to talk about my troubles — 80 percent of the people who hear ‘em don’t care and the other 20 percent are glad I am having them.”

It kind of reminds me of voting in Mesa County for any amenities that might enhance some economic opportunities and push us forward. We need part of the 80 percent to help support ideas, and schools, and projects that could really help our community. Come on people, we have the lowest tax base for communities our size in the state. Take a chance and vote yes.

As for our local politicians, take another page from some old coaches: Don’t play not to lose, play to win!

Grand Junction

For health care, free market has severe limitations
President Trump makes reality into an illusion sketched by him and aligned outlets. Alternate facts replace verifiable facts. Job report numbers that were once a lie are now incredible. Global warming doesn’t have a human component. ACA is in a death spiral. It isn’t. President Obama wiretapped him. No one else thinks so. A healthcare program that will keep Medicare, Medicaid, and lower prices for everyone converted to reality will actually eviscerate Medicaid, endanger Medicare, and cause millions to lose insurance. Paul Ryan on Hugh Hewitt’s show was very happy about that. Trumpcare will kill more people than extremists ever have.

If it isn’t enough to target the poor and elderly, Meals on Wheels and school lunch programs are also cut in the Trump budget. The poor, elderly, and disappearing middle class are disposable.

The myth spreaders will continue to try to make illusion real, but the biggest myth of all is that free markets will magically fix everything. Free markets are great capitalistic drivers for business where competition is abundant, but for healthcare it has severe limitations. Ryan himself said that a free market couldn’t cover the number of people government can. No one else has the potential to regulate costs either. Government also has the ability to make an equitable way to pay for health care through taxation. There is nothing in the free market system that will accomplish what Medicare does now, and Medicare can be improved. Medicine is just too expensive. We should look at a plan that at least offers Medicare to every citizen.

Perhaps we could regain the moral authority lost to alternate facts and allowing citizens to die by following Jesus’s advice: “What you do to the least of them you do to me,” because we also eventually do it to ourselves.

Grand Junction

Roundabout on North would do more than just move traffic
A roundabout at Fifth Street and North Avenue is a concept that would keep traffic moving on North and yet tie Main Street via an improved two-way, widened artery to commerce on both North and Main.

Grand Junction


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy