Stabbing suspect was in GJ facility

A 17-year-old Montrose High School student whose throat was slashed by an attacker in a crowded school hallway was recovering at her home Wednesday, authorities said.

Students held a vigil Tuesday night for Mallory Haulman, who had undergone surgery at Montrose Memorial Hospital for the deep cut to her neck. The attack occurred Tuesday morning before classes began.

Details about the boy accused in the attack were scant the day after the incident.

Montrose Police Chief Tom Chinn said he is recommending charges of attempted murder against the 14-year-old, who was arrested about three blocks from the school minutes after the attack.

The boy was not a Montrose High School student, said Montrose County School District spokeswoman Linda Gann. The boy recently had been living at a Grand Junction residential facility for juveniles and had attended orientation Monday for an alternative school with the Montrose district, Gann said.

Police haven’t released a motive for the attack. Members of Haulman’s family have told the media that Mallory did not know the boy.

A court date for the suspect hasn’t been set. Montrose County District Attorney Myrl Serra said Wednesday he hadn’t filed charges. An affidavit alleging the facts in the case was not available to the public.

Officials have 48 hours after placing someone in custody to have a detention hearing.

Prosecutors have the option of filing adult charges against the boy. According to Colorado law, any juvenile who is 14 years old or older and is accused of using a deadly weapon to commit a high-level felony offense can be charged as an adult.

All but 17 of about 1,400 students at the school showed for classes Wednesday, which was marked by an increase in police presence and counselors, Gann said.

“We were so pleased and proud of our students and staff knowing that they can learn from this and move on,” Gann said.

Gann said parents can attend a meeting at 7 p.m. Nov. 17 in the school’s library to discuss whether any additional security is needed at the school.

Chinn said additional police officers will be at the school every day at least until the Thanksgiving break. After that time, it will be up to school officials whether they want the increased police presence, he said.

“I think it’s a major shock to this community, without a doubt,” Chinn said of the incident.


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

Search More Jobs

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy