You Said it Column February 01, 2009
• I live on a corner lot, and one morning I looked out and someone had driven into my fence and knocked a section of the fence down. The next day I went to get my mail, and they had left a note with $20 in my mailbox, apologizing for my inconvenience. There are still some nice people in the world.
• Now let’s hear one last collective whine from the right-wing authoritarians of Happy Valley and get on with the business of rebuilding the economy, ethics, constitutional law and moral compass of this great country. The long, dark era of “Mission Unaccomplished” is over; time for the real “Mission Accomplished” to begin under President Barack Obama.
• I suppose when the inevitable happens and people are killed by the assault weapons that some people rushed out to buy because Barack Obama was elected — that a gun salesman doesn’t want to call an assault weapon — Barack Obama will be blamed for that, too, even though he will be nowhere in the vicinity.
• The Vatican’s statement concerning President Barack Obama’s decision to end a ban on federal funding for abortion groups by calling it a “disappointment” is mild compared to what I would call it. He has become the new “King Herod” in the slaughter of the innocents. Sure don’t want my tax dollars going for that.
• To the one who said the atheists scared the Christians off: Did you notice that there were no other groups that prayed except the Christians? We were the only ones to show up. I wonder who all the “unknowns” were who were listed in the article. Probably the atheists.
• Hey, Janet Rowland. It’s time to remove the unwanted campers, one car and now somebody’s throwaway tires that are on the county property at the end of Newport Circle in Orchard Mesa. After it’s cleaned up, please put up no-parking signs. Thank you.
• To the good people of Grand Junction: Thank you for your generosity to the homeless and street people. Through your help we are cleaned, fed and warmed at Homeward Bound, the Marillac Clinic, Catholic Outreach and The Day Center. We are truly blessed from your kindness. You can know no bounds for the appreciation we all hold for you all, for without you, we surely would suffer. Thank you. We love you for just being you.
• I saw where President Obama put a freeze on the salaries of all of his senior aides making more than $100,000 a year. It will be interesting to see how serious Washington is about the financial crisis when it comes time for the congressmen and senators to perform their yearly vote for a raise. It is doubtful that any will favor a freeze in order to help the rest of the country. Too bad everyone who is working does not get to vote to increase their own wages.