You Said It Column January 10, 2009
• A big thank you goes out to the funny man in the yellow SUV. Thank you for helping me clean the snow off my car in the Borders parking lot.
• Please fix the two potholes west of the entrance to the Redlands Community Club.
• To the young couple in the large black pickup in Wal-Mart parking lot: Why did you dump all your lunch trash under your vehicle while your license plate reads: RESPECT LIFE?
• I am amazed over all the ill fortunes that are going to rain down on our little provincial burb if the likes of the gentleman’s club or Hooters opens its doors in our neighborhood. Just about the only thing that no one has thought about is that the sky will fall. Really people, if you are going to make these off-the-wall accusations, you should have the real facts, not just a lot of hot air.
• The city code says strip clubs “blight and deteriorate” neighborhoods. City council, why is this still an issue? Just say no.
• According to the Blotter of Tuesday, Jan. 6, Grand Junction Police Department stated illegally parked vehicles in bike lanes of 10th Street force bikes and vehicles to move into the oncoming lanes of traffic to go around, creating a dangerous situation. What about bicyclists riding two or three abreast on 23 Road (where the speed limit is 50 mph) without a bike path? Now that’s dangerous. And if you call the police, they tell you there is nothing they can do about it.
• Somebody told me to break a leg and see if Albertsons and Safeway will deliver. I’ve broken many body parts and both of my knees have had the cartilage removed. I’m closing in on 60 and in better shape than most half my age because of strenuous conditioning. I do empathize with the elderly, but I still don’t think the world should literally stop so they can go two blocks instead of six for groceries.
• This entire prayer-before-council-meetings brouhaha has gone off the deep end. The U.S. House and Senate both conduct prayer before sessions — why such a big dust-up about it? Now some local atheists suggest a Darwin Appreciation Day (ostensibly because of his “scientific” achievements). In view of the average IQ of these ranters, may I suggest a Jeff Foxworthy “Are You Smarter than a Fifth-grader” Appreciation Day?
To the cops: Please make the caveman living illegally in the Redlands clean up the huge, reeking mess he has made, and either run him out of town or take him to the shelter or jail. If you don’t know where his cave is, it is west of new bathrooms on Monument Road and south of Mariposa Road and city yard.
• To the person complaining about Victoria’s Secret and Hooters, what does a clothing store and a restaurant have to do with teenage girls getting raped? It sounds like people here need to get a grip and stop making up things to worry about.
• Grand Junction was a nice place to live when the strip club Cheers was open. There was no decrease in crime after it closed. Even in countries where the government forces females to wear burkas, women are still raped and exploited. As a conservative, I believe people make this country great, not government. If you want this community to be a better place, teach your children to respect women and their elders. Don’t expect the government to do it.
• The Colorado Division of Wildlife presents a very informative television ad on Colorado’s natural resources. Unfortunately, one segment shows a wood duck. One would think they should have had a biologist check the film before it was released and required it to have a duck native to this area. Wood ducks live much, much farther east than Colorado, but I suppose if you don’t have a biological background it doesn’t make any difference.
• In reply about airhead riders: The only relief we “bikers and Harley-Davidson” riders get is the three-month winter freeze while we are hibernating from the frenzied and crazed drivers who never look or see us legitimate, conscientious, two-wheel riders who are at the mercy of people just like you.
• To the people who believe that Hooters is a godless gentleman’s club: I can tell you that many families go there for an inexpensive meal. The girls are very attractive — so what? If you prefer not to boost our economy, then get off your butts and start donating your time and money to help people less fortunate with no jobs. On the other hand, if you are already that insecure about your husband getting out and enjoying himself, try joining him for a beer and great wings.