OA: Valentine Roundup February 06, 2009
Plan now for some Valentine’s Day romance
Love is in the air on the Western Slope.
Plan a hot date or spice things up with these Valentine’s Day related activities.
Events you’ll love to lovein February.
Friday, Feb. 6
• Handbags made with love by Tiffany Cruz at New York Moon, 418 Main St. — *Designer Cruz will showcase her collection of handbags, furniture and artwork from 4–8 p.m. Complimentary treats and beverages. Info: 242-2013.
Saturday, Feb. 7
• Art Within the Heart jewelry sale at Holiday Inn, 755 Horizon Drive — *Handcrafted jewelry, including Valentine’s Day-themed pieces, are for sale on from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. made by members of the Art Jewelers Guild of Grand Junction. Drawing for a charm bracelet. Info: 243-1220, 314-1119, http://www.virjenmettle.com.
• Sweetheart Dance for Seniors at Fruita Monument High School, 1102 Wildcat Ave. — Dance to the music of Wayne Lizer and the Music Express band. For seniors age 55 and older. Buy tickets at the door for $5 or in advance at the Fruita Parks and Recreation Department. Info: 858-0360.
Tuesday, Feb. 10
• “Art for your Sweetheart” photography exhibit at Heiden Homes Realty, 735 Rood Ave. — *Colorado landscape photography and beyond by Dave Lord and The Daily Sentinel’s Christopher Tomlinson. Reception is from 5–8 p.m. Hors d’oeuvres and refreshments provided. Info: 245-7777.
Thursday, Feb. 12
• The Bellamy Brothers at Whiskey River, 490 28 1/4 Road — Valentine’s concert is at 9 p.m. Tickets cost $25. Tickets also available at Moose Country Radio, Murdochs and Western Implement. Info: 241-5179.
Friday, Feb. 13
• Teen Un-Valentine’s Day Open House at Mesa County Libraries’ Central Library, 530 Grand Ave. — Forget romance, teens, stop by for snack food and video games from 3:30–4:30 p.m.
• Kids Night Out at Creative Avenues, 128 S. Fifth St. — A Valentine-themed pajama party for kids so parents can enjoy a night out from 6–9:30 p.m. For ages 3 to eighth grade. Cost is $15 for first student and $10 for each additional kid.
• Wine & Chocolate Lovers Extravaganza at The Creamery Arts Center, 165 W. Bridge St., Hotchkiss — Art reception and fundraiser from 6–8 p.m. Info: 866-821-ARTS.
Friday and Saturday, Feb. 13–14
• “Love Letters” play at The Art Center, 1803 N. Seventh St. — *A funny and romantic play that follows two characters’ correspondence from second grade on. Performances at 7 p.m. Friday and at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday. Each performance features a different real life married couple, who are also actors in the community. Wine, coffee, soft drinks and desserts will be sold before the performance and during intermission. Tickets cost $10 for Art Center members, $12 for nonmembers. Info: 243-7337.
• “Dances from the Heart” in the Mesa State College Mesa Experimental Theatre, Moss Performing Arts Center, 1231 N. 12th St. — *A collection of contemporary dances by the Beyond Boundaries Dance Collective at 7:30 p.m. both days. Tickets cost $10 for adults, $8 for seniors and $6 for students. Info: 254-1166.
• V-Day Mesa State in the Mesa State College’s Recital Hall, Moss Performing Arts Center, 1231 N. 12th St. — A benefit production of Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues” at 7:30 p.m. both days. Funds raised at the performances benefit Hilltop Community Resources’ Latimer House. Tickets cost $5 for students, $10 for adults and are only available at the door.
Friday, Feb. 14
• Valentine for the Community at Planet Earth & the 4 Directions Gallery, 524 Colorado Ave. — A Valentine’s Day reception is planned for the monthlong heart exhibit, “Valentine for the Community.” Info: 256-9630.
• Valentine Day Dinner Dance at Varaison Vineyards & Winery, 405 W. First St., Palisade — *This includes the premiere of the vineyard’s Pinque Champagne. Info: 464-4928.
• Show Erotica at Cooley Designs, 117 N. Sixth St. — *An erotic artwork exhibit by local artists opens on Valentine’s Day. Info: 270-0929 and http://www.johncooleydesigns.com.
• Mark O’Connor and the Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra at the Grand Junction High School auditorium, 1400 N. Fifth St. — *The symphony celebrates Valentine’s Day with internationally known violinist Mark O’Connor and a romantic evening of music. Tickets cost $25, $30 and $25. Info: 243-6787 or http://www.gjsymphony.org.
• Bring Your Sweetie to the Gardens at the Western Colorado Botanical Gardens, 641 Struthers Ave. — *On Valentine’s Day, admission is free to the gardens from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and includes a free chocolate gift from Enstrom Candies. Info: 245-9030 and http://www.wcbotanic.org.
• Valentine’s Dance at Boomers Nightclub & Restaurant, 436 Main St. — Music by Bobby Walker. Cover charge is $7–$10. Info: 248-9022.
• “Casablanca” at the Avalon Theatre, 645 Main St. — See the classic love story on the big screen at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $5. Info: 263-5700.
Sunday, Feb. 15
• “Songs in the Key of Chocolate” at the Ouray County 4H Event Center, 22739 Highway 550, Ridgway — Singing group Dolce Voce presents an a capella concert in honor of Valentine’s Day at 3 p.m. Tickets available at the door and cost $10 for adults, students get in free. Info: 626-2970.
Eat your heart out
Here are some area restaurants’ Valentine’s specials. Make your reservations early.
• Bin 707 Food & Wine, 707 Horizon Dr. — Five course tasting menu. Cost is $100 per couple. Info: 243-0000.
• Boston’s Restaurant & Sports Bar, 2404 F Road — From Feb. 12–14, Boston’s will sell heart-shaped pizzas with $1 from the sale donated to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International. Info: 256-7654.
• Carlson Vineyards Winery, 461 35 Road — Cherry ‘n Chocolate Tastings every Friday and Saturday in February from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sip the vineyard’s cherry wine from glasses rimmed in Enstrom Candies’ dark chocolate. Special Valentine gift packages available.
• Crystal Cafe, 314 Main St. — *Offering a contest in February to win a crystalline glazed vase made by local artist Piera Kllanxhja, a flower and a homemade dark chocolate and fruit parfait. Enter the contest at the restaurant. Info: 241-7482.
• Dolce Vita Italian Restaurant, 336 Main St. — *On Feb. 13–14, the special is the Cupid Extravaganza (local food paired with fruits of the vine). Look for special food and wine pairing meals all month long on Fridays and Saturdays only. Info: 242-8482.
• Gateway Canyons Resort’s Paradox Grille, 43200 Colorado Highway 141, Gateway — Special appetizer, entree and dessert menu on Valentine’s Day. Info: Call 931-2458 between 5 p.m. Thursday and 5 p.m. Sunday for reservations.
• Inari’s, 336 Main St., Palisade — On Valentine’s Day, dine on the bistro’s new winter seasonal menu and listen to music by guitarist Bob Alster. Info: 464-4911.
• Il Bistro Italiano, 400 Main St. — *On Valentine’s Day there will be a multiple course dinner with wine pairing. Fixed price. The restaurant also will feature different regional Italian cuisines in February. Info: 243-8622.
• Las Palmas Mexican Restaurant, 752 1/2 Horizon Drive — February $4.99 special and buy one margarita, get second half off. Info: 255-1167.
• The Winery Restaurant, 642 Main St. — *Throughout February, share a romantic sweet with your sweetie. Eat from plates made by local artist and potter Jett Pike. Info: 242-4100.
• The Red Canyon Grille at Redlands Mesa Golf Course, 2325 West Ridges Boulevard — *Free Valentine cheesecake for two when you purchase two regularly priced lunch entrees in February. Info: 243-7736.
Sing with all your heart
• Cover Charge (a quartet with the Sweet Adelines) Singing Valentines — On Friday or Saturday, Feb. 13–14, a quartet will sing two songs and deliver a flower and a gift to your honey’s home or work. Make reservations by calling 208-2851 or 858-1060.