Real Estate Q&A for April 27, 2014


Do you have a question? Send it to 
askdavegj@gmail. com and Dave Kimbrough will personally answer it in this space. Some questions may be more technical in nature than others and require more time to research. Due to volume we can’t guarantee a response to every question

We have seen several older homes that need a lot of work to bring them up to acceptable standards. How can we include the costs for the needed improvements in our mortgage?  We do not have a lot of cash to put in the home after we purchase.
—Troy, Fruita

Yes, many times you can include improvements or repairs of an older or foreclosed home into your mortgage.  The loan program is called a 203K or 203K streamline loan and you can call your local lender and they will be able to give you all the information about how these loans work.  I might add that finding a lender that is experienced in doing these loans is very important as they require more attention than a typical home loan.  Ask your agent what they know and who they would recommend for this type of loan program, but don’t let the perfect home slip away until you research your 203K options. 

Dave Kimbrough
The Kimbrough Team
REMAX 4000 Inc.

We will be moving out of state, to a city where we know absolutely no one.  How do we go about finding the “best” realtor to help us in our new location?
—Andrew, Grand Junction

Great question.  There are several ways to go about finding an agent in the city where you are moving.  First, if you need to sell your home here, you can ask you real estate agent to refer you to an agent in their network with their company.  This typically works great, because your local agent will do their due diligence to make sure the agent in your new city is experience, professional and knows the ins and outs of your new market.

You can also get online and look for homes in the area and take note of names that you see over and over.  Those agents, unless they are just working foreclosures, are probably well known and well connected and have a good base of knowledge of the local market.  Be careful not to just take the recommendations of “find an agent web sites”, because many times the agents that are referred off these sites are not producers, they are paying the web sites a referral fee for buyer referrals, It may have nothing to do with ability, knowledge or results, but who is paying the web site for the referral.  Your best bet is to find a local agent here that has connections and can find you a qualified agent in your new city!! Best of luck, I hope this helps.

Dave Kimbrough
The Kimbrough Team
REMAX 4000 Inc.

Check out most popular special sections!

734 S. Seventh St.
Grand Junction, CO 81501
970-242-5050; M-F 8:00 - 5:00
Subscribe to print edition
eTear Sheets/ePayments

© 2017 Grand Junction Media, Inc.
By using this site you agree to the Visitor Agreement and the Privacy Policy