The 15 Days of Christmas
Your guide to holiday happenings across the Grand Valley
What’s on your list of fun things to do this holiday season? Want to try ice-skating or snowshoeing? Take the kids to have breakfast with Santa? Snuggle under a blanket and cheer on a Parade of Lights? How about a tour of holiday lights followed by a beloved Christmas classic movie? Or maybe you want to get away from the crowds yet still do a little holiday shopping.
No problem, you can do all that and more this year. The trick is to pay attention, mark the event on your calendar and get out there and enjoy the season. The following is a list of holiday activities taking place across the valley.
1. WHAT : Think Thursdays – free carriage rides, extended shopping, carolers, Santa. WHEN: Every Thursday, beginning Dec. 2. WHERE: Downtown Grand Junction
2. WHAT: Winterfest and the Parade of Lights WHEN: Saturday, Dec. 4. Winterfest begins at 11 a.m. Parade of Lights at 5 p.m. WHERE: Downtown Grand Junction
3. WHAT: 5-K Jingle Bell Run WHEN: 9 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 4. Cost: $20 preregistration; $25 on event day. WHERE: Canyon View Park
4. WHAT: Olde Fashioned Christmas — Tree lighting, ice skating WHEN: Friday, Dec. 10, 4 – 7 p.m. for ice skating on the Plaza, tree lighting is at 5:30 WHERE: Downtown Palisade.
5. WHAT: Olde Fashioned Christmas — Street vendors, gingerbread competition, soup challenge, toy run, car show, chili cook-off and more. WHEN: Saturday, Dec. 11. Festivities start at 11 a.m.; Christmas parade at 5:30 p.m. WHERE: Downtown Palisade.
6. WHAT: Olde Fashioned Christmas — Christmas tea. WHEN: Sunday, Dec. 12, noon; $15 per person. WHERE: Wine Country Inn, Palisade.
7. WHAT: Kool Kruise – includes movie at the Avalon, tour of holiday lights. WHEN: Saturday, Dec. 11; Movie 4:30 or 7 p.m; Cruise – 5:30, 6:30 or 7:30; $5 in advance, $7 day of event. WHERE: Meet at Avalon Theater
8. WHAT: Breakfast with Santa — Breakfast, a photo op with the big guy and admission to Dinosaur Journey. WHEN: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 11; $8 per person, includes admission to museum. WHERE: Dinosaur Journey in Fruita.
9. WHAT:Candy Cane Hunt — Crafts, songs and a hunt for candy. WHEN: 1 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 11; free, ages 12 and under. WHERE: Lincoln Park Barn.
10. WHAT: Holiday Open House — 20 percent off everything in the gift shop, guided ranger walk (weather permitting). WHEN: Saturday, Dec. 11, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. WHERE: Colorado National Monument Visitors Center.
11. WHAT: Walk, light refreshments, special screening of documentary featuring Colorado National Monument. WHEN: Documentary screenings will be at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. every Saturday for the entire month of December. WHERE: Colorado National Monument Visitors Center.
12. WHAT: Holiday Lights Tour — Special tour for participants ages 50+, hot chocolate at the barn following tour. WHEN: Thursday, Dec. 16, 6 – 7:30 p.m., $5. WHERE: Lincoln Park Barn.
13. WHAT: Chocolate Walk — Walking tour with a guide from the Museum of Western Colorado. WHEN: Friday, Dec. 17, 5:30 p.m.; $10 – preregistration required. WHERE: Enstrom’s Candy in downtown Grand Junction.
14. WHAT: Breakfast with Santa — Waffles, eggs, muffins plus a keepsake photo. WHEN: Saturday, Dec. 18, 8:30 – 10:30 a.m.; $10 per person. WHERE: Bookcliff Activity Center.
15. WHAT: Snowshoe Tour — Take a guided tour on top of Grand Mesa. WHEN: Sunday, Dec. 26, 11 a.m.; $65, ages 16+; preregistration required. WHERE: Powderhorn ski resort.