Briefs: Local News October 28, 2008
Final day to request mail-in ballot
• Today is the final day for voters to request a mail-in ballot for the 2008 general election, according to the Mesa County Clerk and Recorder’s Office.
You can obtain an application at http://www.vote.mesacounty.us and either drop it off at the elections office on the third floor of the old county courthouse, 544 Rood Ave., or fax it to 255-5039.
Schaffer to stop in Grand Junction
• Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bob Schaffer will stop in Grand Junction today as part of a whirlwind tour of Colorado.
Schaffer, who is running against Democratic candidate Mark Udall, will appear at
10:45 a.m. at the local Republican Party’s office at 634 Main St., according to his campaign.
Schaffer’s stop comes less than a week after Udall and Congressman John Salazar, D-Colo., hosted a get-out-the-vote rally at the Mesa County Democratic Party headquarters.
Monument seeks photos for exhibit
• Colorado National Monument is seeking photographs for its “Monumental Memories Exhibit.” Photos should highlight family memories at the monument. The photo display will be Dec. 13-14. For information, call 858-3617.
Outreach receives award for design
• The Grand Valley Catholic Outreach’s St. Benedict Place received the Housing Colorado NOW Eagle Award. The award is given for quality design and innovative solutions to affordable housing.
Wyoming probes grizzly cubs’ deaths
• LANDER, Wyo. — The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is investigating the shootings of two yearling grizzly cubs that were found dead in northwest Wyoming, officials said Monday.
Wildlife officials believe the two bears, one male and one female, were illegally poached late Oct. 18 or early Oct. 19, which was the day two hunters found and reported their carcasses.
The bears were found on Warm Springs Mountain near Dubois, about 50 miles southeast of the Yellowstone National Park boundary.
Regional Wildlife Supervisor Kent Schmidlin said investigators believe the animals were taken illegally, and not in self defense.